Major Dad 1984

Cursed By A Classical Education

Let's just say that I intend to use this blog to blow off some steam that I might be feeling with the International/National media, my work situation, or maybe even to tee off on the family in a humorous way of course!

12/24/2004

Why Would ANYONE Want His Job?

I just read something over on The Mudville Gazette and my blood's absolutely boiling... Go read this article...and c'mon back. Like with most things, I've got a strong opinion on this one.

Rumsfeld Failed to Lick Stamps...


I'm not sure what has me spun up more...the comment about Senator Hagel handwriting his response to the article...or some of the comments by the Mudville Gazette's readers.

Can I ask the "so what" question about Rummy's DNA not being on the stamps of the letters to families who have suffered loss? Do you think that the family's care? Would the presence of his DNA on the envelopes bring the loved ones back?

I've spent the past several days listening to people, mostly within the mainstream media call Mr. Rumsfeld everything BUT a Christian. While I'm sure that he has his faults...and I've heard about quite a few of them, I believe that we're seeing the politics of personal destruction in the works here. Mr. Rumsfeld is the Secretary of Defense of the most powerful nation on Earth. His forces are deployed in more than one hundred countries. His forces are fighting on two fronts right now, in Afghanistan and Iraq. The day to day decisions he makes in supporting those efforts are infinitely more important than his personally licking stamps of any kind.

Why is this Secretary of Defense being subjected to the rectal examination he is? I have my suspicions that since Bush is acceptable to at least 51% of the American public as demonstrated by the November election results, Mr. Rumsfeld is the next most prominent member of the Administration...let's go after him.

For those folks that can't seem to understand that cabinet level officials are busy people with enormous staffs to assist them through the day to day business...I feel badly for you. If you're running your own business...and tried to do EVERYTHING yourself, you'd be out on the streets in months. I am quite certain that Mr. Rumsfeld is every bit as hit by each and every battlefield death as we all are. He was one of the folks that put people into harms way...and I know that decision weighs heavy on his heart. The thing we should try and realize is that despite the lack of finding huge stockpiles of nuclear, biological or chemical weapons...it was something that we were compelled to check out. Since the UN couldn't seem to do the job, we stepped in to fill the gap. Mr. Rumsfeld's department is responsible for implimenting this final means of diplomacy.

I think it's high time we jumped off his back and allowed him to prosecute the efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq without the petty attacks on his character, patriotism or compassion. He'll be judged in due time by the power that has the right to judge. I believe that when that day comes and Mr. Rumsfeld arrives at the Pearly Gates, he'll be welcomed with open arms...shown his office...and then have a long 'sitdown' with "The Boss." That little chat will explain to him who is REALLY in charge.

See y'all on the high ground AND Merry Christmas!

MajorDad

UPDATE:

I've had a reader point out that the author of the article that got my blood up was in fact a satirist...and it was Jack Daniels that got my BAC (Blood Alcohol Content) up.

Yes, after waiting a few hours since my last Jack and Coke...and re-reading the initial article...you're probably right.

That's a lesson to you all this festive, holiday season boys and girls...never drink and blog. If you're going to drink...give your keyboards to a trusted friend. And remember, friends don't let other friends blog drunk.

Turning myself in for B.W.I. (Blogging While Imbibing) on the high ground,

MajorDad

. And here is the rest of it.

Read the rest of the longer story!

6 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Major: The piece that you linked to is satire, so no need for your blood to boil on it's account. Which is why below it is has a link to "More Satire" and presumably why I can't find any press releases relating to Senator Hagel questioning Rumsfeld's stamp-licking policy. Scott Ott, the "reporter" for this piece, is a satirical writer, or at least that is my understanding. I am guessing some of the commenters are probably also being sarcastic with their comments while some of them believe their criticism of Rumsfeld.

Have a Merry Christmas.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Jenni said...

Have a very merry Christmas, MajorDad.

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oddly.. they WOULD bitch about that if they could... (while ignoring the fact that the stamps were the self adhesive type)


Another blog pointed out that letters from comrades and commanders were more meaningful then one from the SecDef.. I'll take their word for that..

LarryC

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger MajorDad said...

Jim: Jack and I are getting rather chummy again this evening, so I'll try and keep this short.

Regarding the comment about the more personal letters to families, I agree. I think that my parents would be much more touched by a letter they received from my commander...rather than one written by a political appointee in Washington.

Regarding our president...I think the way he's taking time during his visits to military installations to talk with the families that have suffered such personal losses speak volumes about his character. He is a good man...and I would gladly serve under him as CinC if he asked.

See y'all on the high ground...and Merry Christmas to all!

MajorDad1984

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger MajorDad said...

C:

Glad to hear your soldier was safe yesterday...and I know how it feels to get letters from kids. During Desert Storm my dad was an elementary school teacher...so I NEVER had any shortage of mail.

I cried once when I got a little wrapped gift...with the note that told me that there wasn't anything inside other than love and concern for me and those that were with me. I carried that little present in my cargo pocket until I hit US soil again. I still have it somewhere...it was one of the most special gifts I've ever received.

Here's to your soliders' successful operation...and the advent of liberty in Iraq. He's make a big difference in the lives of millions of people.

See you on the high ground!

MajorDad

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

""Regarding our president...I think the way he's taking time during his visits to military installations to talk with the families that have suffered such personal losses speak volumes about his character. He is a good man...and I would gladly serve under him as CinC if he asked.
""

Aye.. I've heard bits and pieces about his visits... Probably won't hear much more since 1)He doesn't permit the press(nor would they print anything positive anyway 2)I'm not one of those who will hear about it through personal contacts (not having any close ones in the current millitary...)

Still what little I've heard is that when he does pay a visit he give as much time as they want to the families....he does it quietly and not as a photo-op of any sort.. and I belive he really does care..


LarryConley

 

Post a Comment

<< Home