Major Dad 1984

Cursed By A Classical Education

Let's just say that I intend to use this blog to blow off some steam that I might be feeling with the International/National media, my work situation, or maybe even to tee off on the family in a humorous way of course!

11/02/2004

Election Night...and it's Past My Bedtime

Dear Gentle Readers...

Well, it just passed midnight in the East...and the Bush/Cheney campaign appears to be closing in on a victory. It was hard fought, but for the most part, I think the Republicans ran a campaign that I'd expect from "men of honor." On the flip-flop side, I think that Democratic ticket were grasping at straws from the word "go." Scary stories about the draft, an economy that has shown tremendous resiliency since 9/11, progress in Iraq, outsourcing the capture of Osama Bin Laden all failed to shake the average American from their belief that now is not the time to try and switch horses in the middle of the rapids.

I know that there are some of you out there that will guffaw at calling two men "of the age" that didn't find their way to Vietnam honorable. If you do, I think you need to take a look around and try and remember your friends, friends of the family, and the like that may have pulled some similar stunts to avoid combat service as well.

The call of military service is not one to be answered by one and all. (And as an Army leader...I can say that we're certainly glad of that!) However, what President Bush and Vice President Cheney may or may not have done to avoid combat in Southeast Asia was well within the law. Draft dodgers that fled the country or simply disappeared without complying with their draft notices...absolutely did not. Pardoning those that shirked their duty by running away was something that I'll never forgive Jimmy Carter for. That and allowing the Americans to be taken hostage in Iran.

While both President Bush and Vice President Cheney have never heard a shot in anger...it doesn't make them lesser men or incapable of continuing to lead us forward in the Global War On Terrorism worldwide or in Iraq.

While the loss of Americans deeply saddens me with each fallen comrade I read about, I know that for the most part they were out doing the job that they loved. Nearly 14 years ago I wrote my parents from Riyadh Airbase, before I headed north to the border with Iraq, that if something happened to me...that I was exactly where I wanted to be...where I had to be...where my country needed me. I know that was probably no comfort to parents left behind worrying about their only son, but I wanted them to know how I felt. I believe that a majority of our troops feel as zealous and filled with a duty concept much like the one I had all those years ago.

Our president is within a handful of electoral votes of being re-elected...and that just has to put a smile on this old soldier's face. While I may be a little too old to be serving on active duty, I'm still doing what I can to make sure that the young troopers of today are getting the equipment and training they need to deploy anywhere, against any enemy, any time.

God bless you, Mr. President. Nine states left...but I have the faith that you'll get the remaining votes you need. Keep up the fire! And if you REALLY, REALLY need me back in uniform, we might need to talk about a retroactive promotion.

Looking up to you from the high ground...

MajorDad1984

UPDATE: 12:41 am EST...President Bush has won Florida and Ohio, that was a fat lady I saw tuning up awhile back after all. While it's not over...it looks like the curtain's about to go down on "The Johns." Mr. Kerry, we'll see you back in the Senate on Monday morning....Mr. Edwards, we look forward to seeing you chase ambulances again in January.


Read the rest of the longer story!

2 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said !!! Love 'ya, Mom

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger MajorDad said...

Thanks Mom!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home