Major Dad 1984

Cursed By A Classical Education

Let's just say that I intend to use this blog to blow off some steam that I might be feeling with the International/National media, my work situation, or maybe even to tee off on the family in a humorous way of course!

1/26/2005

Stand Up? Go to Jail...Directly to Jail

Well, not to tell stories out of school...but MajorMom was in court this morning taking care of a little problem she had with the local law enforcement personnel here in our sleepy little Central Texas town. Her crime against the community? Speeding in a school zone! How dare she? What was she thinking? How could she be so irresponsible?

Well, let's take everything into the appropriate perspective...certainly not the one that the motorcycle cop that nabbed her had.

MajorMom was busted for doing 22 mph in a posted 20 mph school zone...just one of many that surround our home a few mornings ago.

I'm not a lawyer, but I get to play one from time to time. The last time I did...I got a pit bull to walk from "doggie court." I'll have you know...he was the only pit that did that day. The rest of them got the death penalty. My charge, Pork Chop, walked with a muzzle. How would I have handled this one????

Well, first things first, I probably would have asked for the records for the calibration and the procedure that the officer went through that morning to calibrate his gun. Okay, that's harrassment, but we have to start somewhere.

Secondly, I'd have to bring physics into the courtroom and explain that the difference in braking distances when you're driving 22 mph vs. 20 mph only extends by 8 feet. 22 mph is still pretty durned slow.

Finally, I'd have to bring into the fact that the Expedition that MajorMom drives has an analog speedometer...and 2 mph is pretty tough to gauge with a needle. It's not as nice and fancy as some of your rides out there with the digital displays.

Where am I going with this? (Yes, Dr. J. Daniels is co-authoring this with me this evening)...MajorMom walked into the courtroom with her $120 money order so she could pay her fine without at fight. WHAT? HOW COULD SHE POSSIBLY DO THAT? Read the following and come on back...


Every American is just a few steps away from committing a crime.

MajorMom was basically afraid to stand up for common sense and perhaps plead for a lesser sentence than the substantial fine that she wound up paying. Add to that the defensive driving class she's going to take to keep this from hitting the insurance company...and we're almost $200 for a 2 mph infraction.

Now I understand that the law is the law...but if we pulled over EVERYONE here in Central Texas for exceeding a posted limit by 2 mph...nobody would EVER GET ANYWHERE!!!

I think that it's time that we stand up to some of the moronic laws, statutes and regulations that we've allowed to be imposed upon us.

I love ya MajorMom...but you should have put up a little tougher fight!

See you on the high ground...I'll be the one with the flashing red and blue lights around me.

MajorDad

Read the rest of the longer story!

3 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger Dani said...

Man. Did you pick the right topic today.
I drive a 1997 Firebird of an electrical nightmare. The windshield wipers don't work .The turnsignals don't work. I've tried to have both fixed, but despite the hundreds of dollars already spent, neither do. Therefore, my inspection sticker is expired. Also, due to my own lack of inspiration to goto the CTA&C's office, my registration is expired. I recently was married and moved, therefore my driver's license info is incorrect. Oh yeah, and I left my proof of insurance at home. On the way to my daughter's spelling bee this morning, I was pulled over and cited for my numerous violations of the law. Me? A criminal? Am I violent? Am I being hazardous to anyone else's health? What really am I doing to hurt the community? Every time I get into my vehicle, I'm AFRAID of what might happen if I drive near the vacinity of a police officer, and it doesn't help my odds that there are two stations between my home and office.
I must say that I am setting myself up for trouble my not taking care of the majority of the violating offenses myself, but really. Give me a stinking break. Other than THOSE violations, I am a law abiding, productive, helpful, and caring citizen of this country.
Go find some stinking illegal immigrants to pick on.
Sorry to rant, but this was a hot button for me and always has been.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Dani said...

Update: I just paid to have my registration renewed, and tomorrow I will "fix" my drivers license. I'm almost NOT a criminal. YEA!

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Pancho said...

I shocked to know that we've allowed the criminal element to join "Texas Blogs". Shocked. :>]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home