Major Dad 1984

Cursed By A Classical Education

Let's just say that I intend to use this blog to blow off some steam that I might be feeling with the International/National media, my work situation, or maybe even to tee off on the family in a humorous way of course!

10/05/2004

"Unfit for Command" to the Back of the Bookstore

First, I'd like to thank Smash for recognizing me on his famous blogs, The Indepundit and From the Sand Box, as one of his youngest "Blog Children." Yes, you stirred me back to action, but I was doing my 'thang' way back when in the early 90's when we were dialing up and forced to learn HTML to make our point. It's so much more fun here...I can spend my time thinking about what to write rather than trying to figure out how to make it look good.

Back to my topic...I was down at the local mall, getting a battery for my "dress watch." MajorMom1984 had read me the riot act...you're not wearing your Seiko Divemaster (circa 1984) with the Walmart band to your 20th reunion at West Point. (Note...my computer could NOT have been responsible for the Bush memos.) While we there dropping off the dress Seiko for the new battery, we wandered over to the Waldenbooks there. While in my favorite spot, between the computer, business/financial and current events, I saw a young saleswoman stocking shelves...and much to my surprise, I saw her with about a half dozen copies of "Unfit for Command." If the section she was stocking was any further from the front of the store, she'd have been in the stockroom.

I walked back up to the front of the store to see what was out up front...the new...top sellers if you will. I saw several books about George Bush, mostly unflattering. I had to go back to the saleswoman stocking the shelves. I couldn't help myself...I had to ask.

"Excuse me. I hate to be a wiseass, but I have to ask you a question. Can you tell me why this book here is way back here in the back of the store and there are at least three or four books about George Bush are out front? This book came out at about the same time. Why are you stocking it back here?"

"Uh, uh."

"I'm just curious. It seems as if this book should be up front with all the other contemporary books."

"But this is where they tell us to put it. There might be more coming in to place up front. Uh, uh."

"Yeah, right."

I finished my copy of "Unfit for Command" several weeks ago and believe that there's a grain of truth in almost all of the stories mentioned. It sounds to me like Mr. Kerry was awarded, wore, tossed, and now is running on a record several medals that probably should not have been awarded. Not too awfully long ago, we had an admiral commit suicide when questioned about wearing unearned ribbons and medals. Am I advocating that John Kerry take his own life? Not at all. I would just like to have him release the records that support the claims to these medals and to his role as 'war hero.'

It's getting late...I'm getting tired...and it's time to publish for tonight!

See you all on the high ground!

MajorDad1984

Read the rest of the longer story!

2 Comments:

At 11:45 PM, Blogger Rich Casebolt said...

The high ground's lookin' good, my blog-sibling!

I notice that we only live a couple of hours apart ... I live up in Little Elm, TX (about 15 miles east of Denton). However, unlike you, I'm an empty-nester (2 grown/married kids, and a grandchild).

Carry on!

Rich Casebolt
The Alleged Mental Case ... (bolt)

 
At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Major Dad,

Welcome to the Blogosphere.

I wish MajorMom would chill about the watch. It isn't what shows on the outside that counts. I'm going to my 30th High School reunion with my Ironman Timex and Wal-Mart wrist ban. Don't tell my brother. He's a corporate manager that opens new Target stores.

I like what you are writing. Sometime, I'd like to talk privately to you, if you don't mind.

PCD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home