Major Dad 1984

Cursed By A Classical Education

Let's just say that I intend to use this blog to blow off some steam that I might be feeling with the International/National media, my work situation, or maybe even to tee off on the family in a humorous way of course!

12/09/2004

What If They're Angels??? You Never Know...

this is an audio post - click to play

Got the inspiration for the audio post above while driving home to the Major Family this afternoon. As I'm driving alone, couldn't make it all in one slug, but put about 400 miles behind me. 230 or so to go in the morning. I think I can be home by early afternoon.

In any case, the title might be familiar to some country western fans...modified from Tommy Shane Steiner that sang "What if She's An Angel" several years back.

As I pulled into McDonalds in I think it was Fort Stockton, Texas...I noticed a guy and a dog (yes, like the audio says...that was wearing sunglasses) and thought I could do my first good turn of the holiday season by going in and buying them each a double cheeseburger (dollar menu item) and a large cup of coffee. The West Texas wind's been blowing pretty good lately and there is a hint of a chill in the air, so I figured the coffee would be a nice touch. I bought a double cheeseburger for myself and headed out the door. By the time I turned the corner...there were two guys and a dog. I walked up....handed them the bag and the coffee and chatted with them for a little bit.

The two guys were hitching to Florida to be with a daughter home on leave from Iraq over the holidays. Duke, the sunglass wearing dog, was hers...and they were taking him along for the trip. They were very appreciative of the gesture...and thanked me over and over again. Like I said, I intend for this to be the first of a number of gestures I'll make for the holidays....my next mission is to get some toys into the Fort Hood Santa's Workshop for some military kids that might not have much of a Christmas otherwise. I usually buy durable toys/sporting good stuff that will last longer than the time it takes to break the average $50 toy. After that...I don't know where my compassion will be directed. Any suggestions?

See...conservatives enjoy being compassionate too...but we tend to like to do it in our own special way. If we all felt like this....and gave the way I try to do.....I'll be willing to bet that if we were all to give where we thought money was needed most, we could cut the government out of the picture and actually get more money into the hands of those that need it most.

I'd like to challenge you all...to commit some random act of kindness. CAUTION though....MajorDad runs about 5'10" and 200 lbs...has no nonsense oozing from every pore, so probably isn't going to have to take any guff from too many other people. Be careful when you deal with strangers....especially out on the road.

See you all on the high ground!

MajorDad1984

Read the rest of the longer story!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home